How to write SEO friendly content
HOW TO WRITE SEO FRIENDLY COPY
At Tudor Lodge Consultants, we’ve devised the ultimate guide for writing SEO friendly content. The content on your website needs to be written in a certain way to be fully optimized for search engines. Whether it’s a landing page or blog post, when Google crawls your website, you need to have everything in the right place to deliver the best search results as highlighted below:
1) KEYWORD RESEARCH
Identify the most relevant keywords using Google Keyword Tool. Find which keywords are getting the most traffic and plan your content around targeting these search terms.
- e.g payday loans (201,000 unique searches per month)
- short term loans (18,100 unique searches per month)
Users will be required to register an account first but the tool is completely free to use. Here is a simple how to guide:
2) META-TITLES AND URLS
Place your target keywords in the meta-title and URL of the page to confirm the theme of your content. This is the first thing that is crawled by Google.
- Rule 1: the closer the keyword is to the beginning of the meta-title, the better that keyword will usually rank.
- Rule 2: add your keyword then a hyphen or gate + your brand name. Either is acceptable
- Digital Marketing Consultants – Tudor Lodge Consultants
- Digital Marketing Consultants | Tudor Lodge Consultants
- Rule 3: Make your homepage keyword a sentence or phrase but all other pages must be just keywords
- The leading digital marketing consultants in the UK | Tudor Lodge Consultants
- Rule 4: Only mention that keyword on one page, do not duplicate on lots of pages’ meta-titles
- Rule 5: Use more than one keyword if relevant to the page and content
- SEO Consultants | PPC Consultants | Tudor Lodge Consultants
Create headings to structure your content and tell the audience what you are talking about. This is the second thing that is crawled by Google.
Use heading sizes (H1,H2,H3,H4) to prioritize your content.
H1 is your main keyword and there should be only H1 used, typically at the top of the page. Use H2, H3 and H4 as your sub-headings down the page. Create headings that ask questions to rank for ‘long tail keywords.’
Use your content to answer the questions, explain key terms and explain what you do. Include your relevant keywords in the first line of each paragraph as this is displayed in the Google search results.
Create a healthy and balanced distribution of your target keywords, typically mention 15 times per 1,000 words. Make sure content is relevant as users that stay for longer lead to better search results.
Break up content in to paragraph of 2-3 paragraphs and be sure to use bullet points at least once per article.
5) USER EXPERIENCE: LINKS, IMAGES & VIDEOS
Create a positive user experience by linking to other relevant pages on your website and to other useful websites related to manufacturing (aim for 2 internal and 2 external links).
Add a relevant video and image(s) on each page and use alt-text to tag the images with your relevant keywords e.g seo-friendly-content.
Add things like calculators and contact forms to show the customer where you want them to enter their details – it is all part of making the site transactional and promoting a good user experience. If we can maximise time on site, low bounce rates and get conversion – we’re in business!